Friday, September 12, 2008

A Trip Back to the 90s

I've been in a bit of a reflective mood lately- I've been listening to some of the tapes I made when I was a DJ at grad school, and have been pretty much going through a late 80s/early 90s music kick.

So, in lieu of actually writing anything, here's a brief glimpse into what was spinning in my CD player way back in the (first) Bush years:

First up- "The Mayor of Simpleton" by XTC. To me, the best unrecognized pop band ever.


Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend"- from one of my all-time favorite albums


Lloyd Cole's "Weeping Wine"- the song appeals to the sap in me.


The Connell's "74-75"- an even more criminally overlooked band than XTC.


And, as a bonus, "Make a Circuit With Me" by The Polecats. I saw the video once when the song first came out (about 1982 or so), and it's stuck in my mind ever since then. Thanks to the miracle of YouTube, after 26 years, I've been able to see it again.

No comments: